BRIEF ON REHABILITATION DEPARTMENT TO BE POSTED ON THE NEW WEBSITE OF THE MINISTRY
The Department of Rehabilitation is one of the professional Departments of the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development. The Department was created following a declaration by the United Nations to create an agency for the rehabilitation of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs) in 1994.
- The Department of Rehabilitation has the mandate to care for the neglected and less privileged members of our society with particular emphasis on the Rehabilitation of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs). This includes those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
- The Department also plans programmes, policies and actions in line with accepted United Nations Convention on the welfare and Development of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs).
- The Vision Statement of the Department is to ensure the effective care, development and eventual integration of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs) into the mainstream of the Nigerian society thereby contributing their quota to the economic, social and political development of the Country.
- The Mission Statement of the Department is to bring succour to Persons With Disabilities by way of reducing pains, suffering and social stigma attached to Persons With Disabilities (PWDs).
- The Department performs the under-listed functions:
- Formulating and implementing of various policies for the development of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs);
- Training of different categories of Persons With Disabilities on vocational skills and resettling them after their training;
- Management of Braille Presses and Library services to meet the needs of the visually- impaired and the general public that may be interested in conducting research work on disability issues;
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Rehabilitation programmes;
- Provision of Aids and Appliances to individuals and institutions that provide Rehabilitation services to Persons With Disabilities (PWDs);
- Payment of subvention to recognized Non- Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
- Creation of awareness and sensitization of the public on the plights of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs);
- Coordination of Rehabilitation service delivery in the Country.
In addition, the Department also liaises with National and International Organizations concerned with the Rehabilitation of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs). Some of these Organizations are:
- Joint National Association of Persons With Disabilities (JONAPWDs);
- International Republican Institute (IRI);
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP);
- Rehabilitation International (RI).
- Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM)
- The Department is headed by a Director and structured along three (3) Divisions, Nine (9) Branches/Sections and Units namely:
- Technical Support Services Division;
- Vocational Training and Resettlement Division;
- Nigeria Farmcraft Centre for the Blind (NFCB) Division/Policy and Management Unit;
- Women and Children With Disabilities (W&CWDs) Branch;
- Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) Branch;
- Rehabilitation Centres Branch;
- Deaf and other Disabled Branch;
- Aids and Appliances/Therapeutic Sports (A&A/TS) Branch;
- Non-Governmental Organization/Cooperatives (NGO & Coop) Branch;
- Advocacy and Rights (A&R) Branch;
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) Branch;
- Blind Welfare (BW) Branch;
- Policy and Management Unit (PMU);
- Staff Matters Unit (SMU);
- Vocational Training (VT).
- In addition to the above, the Department has the following out- stations:
- National Library/Braille Press (Johnson Street), Lagos;
- Braille Library, Awka, Anambra State;
- Braille Press Centre, Calabar, Cross- River State;
- Braille Library, Bauchi, Bauchi State;
- Braille Press Centre, Kaduna, Kaduna State;
- Braille Press Centre, Maiduguri, Borno State.
- The Staffing are made up of professionals in the field of Social Work, Braille Press and Library Officers and Instructors in various crafts and agricultural productions.