The Planning, Research & Statistics Department was set up in compliance with the Civil Service Decree No. 43 of 1988. It is one of the three common and compulsory Service Departments. It liaises and cooperates with all the Departments in matters relating to policy formulation, data collection, analysis, storage and dissemination, programme/project design, performance monitoring and evaluation, rolling plan preparation as well as external relations. By extension, the Department is the think tank of the Ministry as its functions cut across other Departments and Parastatals of the Ministry.
The Department is one of the five service Departments in the Ministry. It focuses on developing strategic plans, relevant research activities, data management and all ICT related matters in the Ministry.
There are two Divisions namely:
- Planning; and
- Research and Statistics (housing ICT Unit and the Library)
- Preparation of the Medium Term Sector Strategy (MTSS) and Annual Capital Budget of the Ministry;
- Monitoring and Evaluation of all the Projects and Programmes being implemented by the Ministry;
- Responsible for data gathering, collation analysis and storage;
- Coordination of the Annual Regular Council Meetings on Women Affairs and Social Development;
- Coordination of the Mid-Term Review of the implementation of the outcomes of the Regular Council Meetings;
- Coordination of the Ministry’s participation in Multilateral and Bilateral Relations and Joint Commission Meetings;
- Preparation and forwarding of Memoranda emanating from the Ministry to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) through the Council Secretariat;
- Coordination of the implementation of the World Bank supported HIV/AIDS Project in collaboration with the National Agency for Control of AIDS (NACA).
- Coordination of the online Registration of NGOs willing to partner with the Ministry.