The National Centre for Women Development (NCWD) is an agency of Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development. It is a non-political not-for-profit organization established by Decree No. 11 Section 1(5) of 1995, and run by a Governing Council made up of eminent and distinguished Nigerians.
As the only one of its kind in the African continent, the Centre is charged with the responsibility of stimulating consciousness towards the attainment of higher levels of development and activity for Nigerian Women. It serves as a data bank on women and development in Nigeria. The Centre facilitates the formulation of policies as well as provides training in skill development and income generating activities. It also provides forum for guidance and counseling and the mobilization of women in both urban and rural areas. The Centre liaises with National, Regional and International agencies involved in Gender development programmes.
The Centre is charged with the mandate for Gender Training and Capacity Building, Research, and Documentation in addition to addressing the concerns of Nigerian Women.
NCWD is an Institution for gender research, training and documentation. As such, it is expected to network internationally and complement other players within the sustainable development terrain. Nigeria introduced this instrument as a direct response to the demands of gender imperatives of the UN Global issues.
A National Centre of Excellence for Gender Equity and Sustainable Women Development.
To promote gender equity and development through: Research, Databank, Training and documentation, Advocacy, Guidance and Counseling, Mobilization of resources and provision of qualitative consultancy and social services, Information technology, Conferences and guest facilities. To provide these services through dynamic leadership, well trained motivated and professional staff.
The Centre’s enabling law primarily charges it with the responsibility of stimulating consciousness towards the attainment of higher levels of development and activities for Nigerian women and to promote international co-operation for the attainment of this objective.
In pursuance of its objectives, the Centre:
- Promotes research into the activities and achievements of women;
- Serves as a Databank on Women And Development (WAD) in Nigeria;
- Facilitates the formulation of policies affecting women in all sectors and primarily in areas such as employment, health, agriculture and finance;
- Provides training in skills development, and acquisition, income generation activities and serve as a training ground for managers and leaders;
- Provides a forum for guidance, counseling and mobilization of women in both urban and rural areas; and;
- Liaises with National, Regional and International agencies involved in women development programmes.